Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Flavor and Fragrance

As mentioned in my original post, I expect to be reviewing flavors from time to time as I try new ones. I have found that my palette is less capable of discerning specific flavors, and better able to characterize a general essence of a flavor profile. As this is the case, I have decided that it might make sense to come up with a language to describe the je-ne-sais-quios aspects of flavors. Since I am dealing with inhaled components, as opposed to food, which rests on the tongue it makes sense to me to use fragrance terminology to describe the character of a given flavor. And rather than creating a whole new categorization system, it makes sense to me to simply use the one that the fragrance industry has used for years to describe perfumes and colognes. Below is an outline of this system as found at Sephora's website:

Fresh: Green leaves, Marine notes, Grass, Light tones
Floral: Jasmine, Rose, White flowers
Oriental: Spices, Vanilla, Patchouli, Pepper
Woody: Warm woods, Moss,Vetiver, Agarwood, Cedar, Nutty or Coffee tones
Aromatic: Citrus, Lavendar, Geranium

With this system in mind, I will be able to more readily characterize flavors and aromas from nicotine juice, and do a better service for those who would like to use my reviews as a guide for their future purchases.

No comments:

Post a Comment